Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Bruxelles Weekend - Brussels











































































 I feel in love with Brussels during our visit. Like most things in life, you can't go wrong if you add a little chocolate and beer - oh and waffles - oh and mussels - oh and their delish fries - oh it was just the most fantastic weekend away from Paris (even though it did rain the WHOLE time we were there). That just shows you how much I LOVED Brussels - it rained the whole time and yet I still loved it the very very mostest!

We arrived at 9:20 had promptly ate breakfast. "Do you serve beer yet?" - Jillian. "Of Course!" - Waitress. So I had a beer (a Vedett beer) with two soft-boiled eggs.


Brussels when we first arrived, raining and awesome





 This is Brussels, the cute streets and wonderfully nice people. We all decided that it takes the language of France (as well as others) and the niceness, friendliness, atmosphere, food, and beer, or Germany mixed with America. It was just so fantastic. I think we were also a bit annoyed with the French; their cold, unhelpful attitude towards life.







Here is the famous square we pretty much spent all of our time in. Its called the Grand Place and its the epicenter of tourism.

From here you can go to all the touristy things, such as the Mannekin Pis - or Pissing Boy - statue that is just a tiny fountain of a little boy peeing, and his pee stream is the fountain. Apparently they have a whole museum dedicated to the different outfits that this little statue wears. Taking in mind that the fountain is maybe like 1 foot in height, the clothes are like doll clothes, and they have a whole museum for them. I believe someone changes him every now and then, but we saw him in a little cape.

 
The picture of the colorful naked boy butts was in a chocolate shop, and again this is why Brussels is awesome. Brussels doesn't hate on the fact that they survive (at least here) on tourism. They embrace the fat beer and chocolate loving Americans who just want to see edible chocolate statues of little boys peeing.




So Brussels is also famous for their waffles. We had waffles with Nutella - which is delicious and highly recommended. And their beer, obviously. I finally had Delirium which is possibly the best beer I've had. It was a huge hit with the girls. I spent a day and a half talking about NEEDing to find Delirium because Allyson had talked to me about it, and when I finally did, we were in love!




And this is the epic MUSSELS IN BRUSSELS with fries - so good. We had curry mussels and garlic mussels and they give you like 4 bowls of fries. We had beer with dinner, and it was well worth the splurge - although still much cheaper than Paris. Afterward we went on a hunt for Delirium and I stole my glass to bring home (I felt guilty but come on!)

I think it is safe to say that over Brussels weekend, I broke up with Paris and was in a solid relationship with Brussels. We joked about Brussels weekend being the best weekend of our Study Abroad Adventures in Paris - BUUUTT its not over yet!

1 comment:

  1. I am sooo glad you had a blast in Brussels! I had so much fun reading your blog :) Go Belgium Beer! - Allyson

    ReplyDelete