Sunday, October 17, 2010

Harry's Bar - Famous Bloody Marys

This morning I went to Harry's Bar - on 5 Rue Daunou. Its actually a very interesting story, and tons of famous people have visited. It was started by the former American jockey star, Tod Sloan in 1911. It started in by dismanteling a bar in Manhatten and shipping it off ot Paris. Sloan hired Harry MacElhone, a barman from Scoltland, to run the bar. At this time in history, it became a favorite hangout of the ex-pats. I guess American tourist were showing up in Paris, and this guy, Sloan, decided to capitilize on that and make a spot that would feel at home for the expatriates.
 We went there for the Bloody Mary - which by the way costs 12.50 Euro! It was good, I had never had a Bloody Mary before, so I'm glad for my first one I was able to try "the original". I have to say, it was like drinking watered-down marinara sauce. It wasn't bad, but I think they're the original becasue it's literally the bare minimum of ingrediants. I feel like the Bloody Mary has evolved into a much better and multi-faceted drink. 
I realize my eyes are closed, but whatever. I have a Bloody Mary and Katie has a Mimosa.
The walls are adorned with old photos and drawings as well as College's flags (or Pendants or whatever they're called.)

Harry's is famous for having their "Ivories" piano bar in the basement where, apparently, George Gershwin composed An American in Paris. Its also the birthplace of the Bloody Mar, French 75, the Side Car, The Monkey Gland.

Other famous people who have frequented Harry's are, Sinclair Lewis, Ernest Hemingway, Coco Chanel, Jack Dempsey, Rita Hayworth, Humphrey Bogart, the Duke of Windsor, Bill Tiden, Primo Carnera, Romon Novarro, and Aly Khan.





It was a cute little place, expensive drinks, but the atmosphere was nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment