Sunday, October 17, 2010

Breakfast in America

One of the many things I have missed from home now that I live in Paris, is breakfast. Good old fashioned breakfast, with eggs, toast, bacon, pancakes, syrup, juice, The Works. I get up and try to scrounge around my kitchen at home for any food, not just breakfast related, but anything (my host mother has problems stocking her kitchen, and often jokes about not having any food around or feeding her children even though she is a caterer.) After not having found a single thing to eat, not even plain yogurt or a piece of fruit, I go to work. On my way to my job, I pass by the corner Boulongerie, or bread/pastry shop. I might buy a personal sized omlet or a croissant, but it is never what I want. Its weird but I'm sick of eating French pastries all the time. Ah! All I'm really craving is some eggs.

Its has gotten so bad, that I convinced my friends to come with me to "Breakfast in America" and then to another breakfast joint called "Coco & Co"or now known as "Eggs & Co". Both boast breakfast as they do it in America = EGGS.


First we went to CoCo & Co. The cutest little place ever. Each chair is personalized with a name. It has egg-themed everything (which I adore) and is a pale blue color.




















After breakfast we went and did our individual excursions. We went to Saint Julien le Pauvre - a church and Rue Galand - a street. Saint Julien le Pauvre was rebuilt in the 17th century and used to store animal feed during the revolution. St. Julian the Hospitaller is the patron saint of this church dating back to 1165-1220 being one of the oldest in Paris - along with the church St. Germain des Prés.

Rue Galand was home to the rich and chic in the 17th century and was famous for its taverns. Now it seems like there is nothing to see, other than the little boutique knickknack shops.

 After seeing these two sights, we headed North off of Metro: Courcells, to go to a Sweedish choir concert. The other night, while out at a bar salsa dancing - or trying to learn - we ran into a huge group of Sweedish people. They ended up being a choir, who were in Paris to preform for the weekend. They invited us to go see them, so we did! They were fantastic. They sang a couple Sweedish songs and then ended up "Double Double Toil and Trouble". It was interesting to see a different side of Paris.

No comments:

Post a Comment